How to transfer from Wii to Wii U
Before initiating the system transfer, please remove any Parental Controls restrictions from the Wii console.
All content that you wish to transfer should be moved to the system memory of the Wii console before beginning the transfer.
In order to perform this transfer, both the Wii and Wii U consoles must be connected to the Internet.
Please make sure your Wii U console has the latest system update before proceeding. Find out how to perform a Wii U system update here.
Step-by-step transfer guide
- Set up the Wii U console, and start the Wii Menu.
- Start the Wii System Transfer application, then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Insert an SD Card or SDHC Card into the SD Card slot of the Wii U console when prompted.
- When prompted, remove the SD Card and leave the Wii U console in its current state. Do not turn off the power or return to the Wii Menu.
- Connect the Wii console to the TV.
- On Wii, start the Wii Shop Channel and download the Wii U Transfer Tool from the Channels section.
- Start the Wii U Transfer Tool and follow the on-screen instructions.
- After the process, the application will inform you which data has been moved. Remove the SD Card from the Wii when the application asks you to do so.
- Insert the SD Card into the Wii U console, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the system transfer.
- Once the process is complete, you can enjoy your content on your new Wii U console.
The length of time it takes to transfer content from a Wii console to a Wii U console varies depending on the volume of data being moved across. In some cases the transfer process can take up to an hour and a half. Please do not turn off the power to the Wii U console during the transfer process, or remove the SD Card unless instructed to do so.