Nintendo eShop Discontinuation for Wii U & Nintendo 3DS - Managing Unused Balances
As announced previously, sales of software and DLC for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U via Nintendo eShop will end on Monday, 27 March 2023.
If you have an unused balance in Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U, linking your Nintendo Network ID to your Nintendo Account and merging your funds will allow you to continue to use those funds to purchase digital download titles, DLC, passes and other similar items for Nintendo Switch.
Important: The ability to merge funds will be available until March 2024. Make sure you complete the steps described below by March 2024.
For more information on the discontinuation of Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, read the Wii U & Nintendo 3DS Nintendo eShop Discontinuation Q&A.
Even after 27 March 2023, and for the foreseeable future, it will still be possible to redownload games and DLC, receive software updates and enjoy online play on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS.
Complete these steps
- Create a Nintendo Network ID (NNID) on your Nintendo 3DS system or Wii U console or link your existing NNID to your Nintendo 3DS system or Wii U console.
- If you are not sure whether you have an NNID or if it is linked to your system or console, read Forgot Nintendo Network ID.
- Create a Nintendo Account if you do not have one already.
- Keep in mind that you can create a Nintendo Account even if you do not own or use a Nintendo Switch console at this time.
- Link your Nintendo Account and your Nintendo Network ID and merge your funds.
- After merging funds, any funds remaining on Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U can be used on Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch as well.