What Is the Difference Between a Nintendo Account and Nintendo Network ID?
Nintendo Accounts and Nintendo Network IDs are used for different purposes.
- A Nintendo Account is used for Nintendo Switch online services (including Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch), smart device applications (like Super Mario Run), off-device software purchases and the My Nintendo rewards programme.
- A Nintendo Account is created off-device (via http://accounts.nintendo.com).
- For additional information about Nintendo Accounts, click here.
Nintendo Network ID
- A Nintendo Network ID (NNID) is created and used on a Wii U console and/or Nintendo 3DS system.
- NNIDs are used for online features (such as online multiplayer or interactions) and, prior to 27 March 2023, were used for purchasing downloadable software through Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS.
Additionally, a Nintendo Network ID can be linked to a Nintendo Account so that any unused funds can also be used on Nintendo Switch.