What Is the Difference Between a Nintendo Account and Nintendo Network ID?
Nintendo Accounts and Nintendo Network IDs are used for different purposes.
- A Nintendo Account is used for Nintendo Switch online services (including the Nintendo Switch eShop), smart device applications (like Miitomo), off-device software purchases, and the My Nintendo rewards programme.
- A Nintendo Account is created off-device (through http://accounts.nintendo.com).
- For additional information about Nintendo Accounts, click here.
Nintendo Network ID
- A Nintendo Network ID (NNID) is created and used on a Wii U and/or Nintendo 3DS family system.
- NNIDs are used for online features (such as online multiplayer or interactions) and for purchasing downloadable software through Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS.
Additionally, a Nintendo Network ID can be linked to a Nintendo Account to share Nintendo eShop funds across the different systems.