Unable to Access Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion
The information in this article can help you if you've purchased or downloaded Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion, but it doesn't appear in Splatoon 2.
- A copy of Splatoon 2 is required to play the Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion DLC.
- DLC can only be used with versions of Splatoon 2 that are intended for the same region where the DLC was purchased. (For example, DLC purchased with an Australian Nintendo Account will not work with a Japanese version of the game.)
- The Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion DLC must be downloaded to the console to access the content. The DLC can be downloaded via a purchase on Nintendo eShop or for free as an added benefit of an active Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership. For more information, see How to Access Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion.
What to Do:
- If you or other users on your Nintendo Switch console use the same Nintendo Account on multiple consoles, make sure you can play both the game and DLC on your console.
- Restart the Nintendo Switch console by holding the POWER Button for at least three seconds, then selecting Power Options and Restart.
- Make sure your game is updated to the latest version.
- Open Nintendo eShop and search for Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion to confirm that it displays as downloaded (if obtained through a Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership) or purchased (if purchased separately).
- Open Splatoon 2 from the HOME Menu and select the user that will be playing.
- If you downloaded Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion for free through a Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership, be sure you are connected to the internet and that you have selected a user with an active Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership.
- Check for the Splatoon 2 bonus items (Studio Octophones and Octo Layered LS). To get them:
- Start Splatoon 2. A large brown box will appear in front of your character in Inkopolis Square. Open the box to add the DLC items to your gear.
- At any time in Inkopolis Square, press the + Button to see your gear. The Studio Octophones are in the "Head" section and the Octo Layered LS is in the "Clothes" section.
- Check for the new mission in Inkopolis Square. To begin:
- Start the game and head to the alleyway in the upper-right corner of Inkopolis Square.
- Approach the silver gate until you are prompted to "Listen closely..." then press the A Button.
- Select "Enter" to begin your new adventure.
Were you able to access the mission and bonus items?
If this information resolved your issue, then you’re all set!
If the DLC is still not appearing or you are being prompted to purchase it again on Nintendo eShop, you may have purchased or downloaded DLC for a region that is incompatible with your version of Splatoon 2.
- Confirm the region that your version of Splatoon 2 is compatible with.
- From the HOME Menu, highlight the software icon for the game and press the + Button to open the Options menu.
- Select Support Information to display the list of supported regions for this version of Splatoon 2.
- Confirm the country/region that the DLC is intended for.
- Visit accounts.nintendo.com and sign in with the Nintendo Account that you used to make the purchase. Verify that the country/region setting for your Nintendo Account matches the compatible regions for your version of the game.
Does the country/region setting for the Nintendo Account match the compatible regions for the game?
- Delete the software data (not the save data).
- Redownload the software data.
- Follow our steps on How to Access Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion to redownload the DLC.
- If you are still unable to access the content, please contact us for additional assistance.
How did you obtain Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion?
If the regions do not match, the DLC you purchased will not work with your version of the game. Please contact us for additional assistance.