Problems with Download Codes (Software, DLC, and Themes)
The information in this article can help you when:
- The console displays the error message: "The code could not be recognised."
- The console displays the error message: "The item corresponding to the code you entered is not currently available."
- A game or theme download code is not working or invalid (including scratched, damaged, or illegible).
- For assistance with prepaid Nintendo eShop funds cards, please read Nintendo eShop Prepaid Funds Card Is Not Working.
- If your download code is lost or missing, please read Download Code Is Lost or Missing.
- If you see a message that your download code has already been used, please read Error Message: This Code Has Already Been Used.
- If you receive Error Code: 2811-6058, wait a short while before trying to redeem the download code again.
- For assistance with download codes issued through My Nintendo, please read Problems with Download Codes (My Nintendo Reward).
- If a download code is missing, please read Download Code Is Lost or Missing.
- Digital game purchases made through the Nintendo website are downloaded directly to your system and do not receive a download code. For help with this process, please read How to Purchase or Pre-Order Nintendo eShop Games on the Official Nintendo Website.
- Download codes purchased from retailers or bundled with Nintendo products do not expire. However, download codes given out for a specific promotion (Hyrule Warriors DLC pack, Pokémon distributions, etc) and those obtained through My Nintendo will usually have an expiration date.
What to Do:
- Verify that you are entering your download code correctly.
- The download code is a 16-digit code that is printed on the receipt or available in the email body.
- Themes: The download code must be redeemed within the Theme Shop on a Nintendo 3DS family system.
- Games: The download code must be redeemed on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch, Wii U or Nintendo 3DS family systems.
- Games can only be redeemed on the system for which they are intended. (For example, Nintendo Switch games can only be redeemed on a Nintendo Switch system.)
- Redeem a Nintendo Switch download code in Nintendo Switch eShop or visit the online code redemption page to redeem a Nintendo Switch download code online.
- If some numbers are hard to read, try entering similar numbers. (For example, a 0 may look like an 8, a 5 may look like a 2, etc).
- Verify that the country setting on your system is correct on your Nintendo Switch, Wii U or Nintendo 3DS family system.
- A download code can only be redeemed on a Nintendo eShop set to the same region as the game. (For example, a code sold for use in Japan can only be redeemed with a Nintendo Account and/or Nintendo eShop also set to Japan.)
- If you are attempting to use a download code or system from a different region (a European download code with a North American system, for example), the download code will not work.
- Check your previously downloaded titles in the Nintendo eShop. If you already redeemed the download code, you can re-download the game on your Nintendo Switch, Wii U or Nintendo 3DS family system without re-entering the code.
- If the download code is still not working, it may not have been activated correctly at the store. Please check with the retailer that provided the code.
Situation Not Resolved:
If the download code is still not working, please contact us for additional support.