No Sound From Headphones Connected to Nintendo Switch
While using headphones with a Nintendo Switch console in handheld mode or tabletop mode, there is no sound.
If the setting "Mute When Headphones Are Disconnected" is turned on, by unplugging a headphone set, the sound on the console speakers will be muted until the volume buttons are pressed on the console, or until this setting is manually turned off.
What to Do:
- Ensure your console has the latest system version.
- With the headphones connected to the console, use the "+" and "-" volume buttons to adjust the volume, or adjust the volume from the Quick Settings screen.
- If there is sound coming through the headphones, but it seems relatively low, it is possible that the Lower Maximum Headphone Volume setting is enabled. Try turning this setting off.
Is there sound coming from the headphones connected to the console?
Continue using the console as usual and monitor the situation.
- With the console removed from the dock, unplug the headphones. Then use the "+" and "-" volume buttons to adjust the volume, or adjust the volume from the Quick Settings screen.
- If there is no sound coming from console speakers, click here.
- Plug the headphones back into the console and ensure that they are fully inserted into the headset jack.
- If there is still no sound, test the console using a different pair of headphones.
- If the issue persists, try testing the headphones on another device.
Situation Not Resolved:
If there is still no sound even while using different sets of headphones, or if the headphones work on another device, but not on the console, then the Nintendo Switch console will need to be repaired.