Nintendo Switch Online App Overview and FAQ
The Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app is compatible with select games, giving players the ability to use voice chat during various online game modes and use game-specific services such as SplatNet 2 for Splatoon 2.
The app is available for iOS and Android devices.
Requirements & Compatibility
What is required to use the Nintendo Switch Online app?
To use the Nintendo Switch Online app, you must have the following:
- A Nintendo Switch console and compatible game (either physical or digital).
- An Android or iOS smart device.
- A Nintendo Account linked to your Nintendo Switch console and smart device.
- You must sign in to your Nintendo Account on the app.
- A persistent internet connection for the Nintendo Switch console and smart device. Data charges may apply.
Does the app require a Nintendo Switch Online membership?
Both the app's functionality and online play on Nintendo Switch require an active Nintendo Switch Online membership.
How do I get the Nintendo Switch Online app?
The Nintendo Switch Online app can be downloaded to your smart device from the App Store (iOS) or the Google Play Store (Android). Click here, for additional instructions.
Which smart devices are supported?
- iOS (Apple) - Devices using iOS 12.0 or later are supported.
- Android - Devices running Android OS 6.0 or later are supported
- Note: Prior to 03/08/2021, the app was compatible with iOS 10.0 and with Android OS 5.0. In order to provide a better experience, improvements were implemented with an app update on 03/08/2021 which increased the OS version required. If you are using a lower OS version, please consider updating to a newer OS or use the app on a compatible device.
Where is this service available?
The Nintendo Switch Online app is available for customers in regions where the Nintendo Switch Online service is also available. Within the European region, the free trial period, the paid service, and online play (for applicable modes in compatible games) is available in the following countries:
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
- South Africa
What games are supported?
- DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Mario Tennis Aces
- MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3: The Black Order
- Splatoon 2
- Super Mario Party
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Plus, the entire Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online game library supports voice chat using the Nintendo Switch Online app.
For additional information, please see the full list of compatible titles.
Which languages are supported?
The following 9 languages are currently supported:
Do I need to use the Nintendo Switch Online app to play games online?
The Nintendo Switch Online app provides additional features, such as voice chat and the ability to send user invites over social networks, but it is not required to play online.
Features & Usage
How do I use the Nintendo Switch Online app to create an online match and voice chat with other players?
For instructions on how to complete this process, click here.
Can I play online and chat with anyone or just friends?
When joining supported online modes, you can chat with any of the other players also using the Nintendo Switch Online app.
Can I use the app to voice chat with other players when not playing a game?
No. Players are not able to start voice chat communication until they have joined other players in-game.
Can I use the Nintendo Switch Online app on multiple smart devices?
If you would like to change devices, you can sign in to a new device using your Nintendo Account. However, it is not possible to use voice chat on two or more smart devices at the same time if they use the same Nintendo Account. Each user would need to use his or her own Nintendo Account in order to voice chat with each other.
Can I use a headset or headphones for voice chat?
Yes. You are able to use headsets or headphones connected to your smart device. If using a wireless Bluetooth headphone or headset with your smart device, ensure it supports the HSP or HFP Bluetooth profile.
Please note that game sounds normally output from the TV or Nintendo Switch console will not be heard from your smart device.
If I use my smart device's other features (texts, social networks, etc.) will I be disconnected?
No, if the application is updated to version 1.1.0 or higher, voice chat will continue in the background, even if you press the home button or sleep button on your smart device.
A notification will appear when the app is minimised to let you know when it is running in the background. If you wish to disable voice chat while remaining in the chat room, you can press "X" at the bottom of the chat screen to suspend voice chat.
How much network data is used by the smart device using this application?
An active internet connection is required to download and use the application. As with most applications, data usage rate will vary by application feature and data charges may apply based on how you connect the smart device to the internet. The Nintendo Switch Online application can use cellular data plan or Wi-Fi network.
How do I sign in to the application?
Open the app and then follow our steps on how to sign in to your Nintendo Account.
How do I set Parental Controls restrictions?
- Users with Nintendo Accounts for ages 12 and under can use game-specific services. Some features, including voice chat, require a Nintendo Account for ages 13 and up.
- You can still restrict access to the smartphone app itself using the smartphone’s standard parental controls features.