How to Transfer Digital Games / Nintendo Accounts Between Nintendo Switch Consoles
Instructions on moving digital software purchases, Nintendo Accounts, and/or save data from one Nintendo Switch console to another.
- If you intend to use multiple consoles regularly, please review the differences between primary and non-primary consoles.
- If you intend to sell or discard the Nintendo Switch console you are transferring content from, it is recommended that you initialize the console after you have transferred your content to the second console.
- If you no longer have access to the previously owned Nintendo Switch console (e.g. the console was lost or stolen), it is recommended that you change the password for any Nintendo Accounts associated to that console.
Complete These Steps:
Do You Have Both the Original and New Nintendo Switch Console?
- From within the System Settings of the original console, use the option to "Transfer Your User" for each account you wish to transfer.
- You can also select “Transfer Your Save Data” if you want to move an individual game save file to a different system.
- Using this option will allow you to retain game save data, including save data for games that do not support Save Data Cloud.
- Once this process is complete, the associated Nintendo Account, user account, and save data is removed from the original console after being transferred to the second console.
- If you do not have access to the original console, you can still transfer your Nintendo Account and digital games to a different Nintendo Switch console and make that console your account's primary console. Follow these steps to complete this process.
- Game save data that was backed up using the Cloud Save Data backup feature of Nintendo Switch Online can be redownloaded on the second console if your membership is still active.