How to Format a microSD Card
Instructions for formatting a microSD card on the Nintendo Switch console.
For information about supported microSD cards for Nintendo Switch, click here.
- A system update may be required in order to format a microSD card on Nintendo Switch.
- Once formatted, the information on the microSD card cannot be recovered. If screenshots or videos are stored on the microSD card, be sure to first back up the information on a computer.
- If downloadable software was saved to the microSD card, it can be redownloaded using the same Nintendo Account where it was purchased.
Complete These Steps:
- From the HOME Menu, select “System Settings.”
- Scroll down the options on the left and select “System.”
- Scroll down the options on the right-hand side and select “Formatting Options”.
- If prompted, enter your Parental Controls PIN.
- Select “Format microSD Card”, then “Continue”.
Important:The following message will be displayed, “Formatting will delete all data on the microSD. It is recommended that you back up all screenshots, videos and other important data to a computer before formatting.”
- To continue, select “Continue”. The console will then restart.