How to Create a Course in Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
In this article, you’ll learn how to create a course in Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit.
When you first begin playing Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, you’ll be shown a tutorial on how to create your first course at home. Here are some things to keep in mind when creating a course:
- A flat, indoor space of at least 3.5m x 3m is recommended.
- It is recommended that you keep the kart within approximately 5 metres of your Nintendo Switch console when racing.
- You will need to sync your kart to your Nintendo Switch console and make sure the kart is charged in order to make a course.
Complete these steps
Assemble the gates
Four gates are included with each Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit set and must be assembled to begin playing. Assembly instructions are also found in the Info menu in the game.
- Extend the legs of Gate 1.
- Fold the feet of Gate 1.
- Connect the support tabs between the feet and legs of Gate 1.
- Repeat these steps with Gates 2, 3 and 4.
Set up the gates and arrow markers
- Place the four gates throughout your play area. A racer will need to pass through all gates in order (1 through 4) to complete a lap.
- All four gates must be used. It is not possible to add more gates, but the course can pass through the same gate more than once.
- The camera on the kart needs to read information on the gates to function properly, so do not cover the gate images or add markings to the gates.
- Place the gates on level ground with enough light for the kart camera to see, but away from direct sunlight.
- You may wish to place heavy objects such as books on the base of the legs of the gates to keep them from shifting during play.
- If you wish, you can place the two arrow markers (included with each Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit set) to signal turns in the course.
- The arrow markers will appear with animated lights in-game.
- It’s possible to print up to six additional arrow markers to add to your course.
Design a course
- Point the kart towards the first gate and press the X Button to begin designing a course. Lakitu will splash paint on your tyres to use to mark the course as you drive.
- Drive the kart wherever you wish to create the course. You must pass through all gates in order and return to Gate 1 to finish creating the course.
- Challenge the Koopalings to a race to test your new course!
Customise the gates
- Point the kart towards a gate and press the X Button to customise the gate type. Each type of gate has a different effect on karts that pass under it. The effects can also be adjusted.
- As you complete Grand Prix races, you will unlock new gate types.
Place real-world obstacles (optional)
- If you wish, you can add real-world obstacles to your course to customise it further. For example, you can:
- Add decoration and walls along the sides of the track.
- Stack light blocks that can be knocked over to obstruct other players.
- Design hidden shortcuts.
Race on your course
- After completing your course, you can race on it in Grand Prix, Time Trial, custom race and multiplayers modes.