How to Add a New User Account
Instructions on creating a new user account on a Nintendo Switch console, and linking the new user account to a Nintendo Account during the set up process.
- If you already have a user account on a different console, you can transfer your existing account and save data instead of creating a new account.
- User accounts are used to manage each player’s save data and personal settings.
- Up to eight user accounts can be created on a Nintendo Switch console.
- A user account can also be linked to a Nintendo Account at any time after it is created.
- Once a Nintendo Account is linked to the account, the console's online features will be available.
Complete These Steps:
- Select System Settings on the HOME Menu.
- Scroll down to highlight Users, then select Add User.
- Select Next.
- Select the icon you would like to have associated to your account.
- Select More Options for additional characters / backgrounds to choose from.
- If you would like to add a Mii instead of a picture, select Mii to create one.
- Once you have selected a character, enter a nickname when prompted. Select OK.
- Your nickname can be seen by other players, so don’t include any personal information.
- Your nickname can be changed at any time once your account is created.
- Select OK again to confirm.
- At this point, you will be given the option to link a Nintendo Account to your user account.
What would you like to do?
- Select Create Account to set up a new Nintendo Account.
- Optional - On the following screen, you can request an e-mail with instructions to link your Nintendo Account with a confirmation code.
- On your PC or smart device, visit http://accounts.nintendo.com and create a Nintendo Account.
- Once you have created the Nintendo Account, return to your Nintendo Switch console and select Sign in.
- Sign in to your Nintendo Account using one of the available sign-in methods.
- If you have forgotten your Nintendo Account sign in information, click here.
- You will receive a confirmation message that your Nintendo Account is now linked to your sign-in account. Select OK to return to the system settings.
- Select Add User if you would like to add additional accounts, or press the B Button to return to the HOME Menu.
- Select Later if you do not wish to create or link a Nintendo Account at this time.
- Note that many of the console’s online features are not available until a Nintendo Account is linked.
- Once your account is created, you will return to the system settings. Select Add User if you would like to add additional accounts, or press the B Button to return to the HOME Menu.