How to Add Members to a Family Group
Instructions on adding new members to a Nintendo Account family group.
- Up to 7 additional members can be added to a Nintendo Account family group.
- When any member of a family group purchases a Nintendo Switch Online family membership, the Nintendo Switch Online service is available to everyone in the family group.
- Each family group has one admin. The admin is the only person that can add or remove members from the family group.
- Children under the age of 16 can only be added by an admin aged 18+.
- Nintendo Accounts that are already included in a family group can be removed from the group or transferred to a different family group.
Complete These Steps:
- Sign in to the admin Nintendo Account for the family group.
- If you don’t yet have a Nintendo Account, visit http://accounts.nintendo.com to create one.
- Click “Nintendo Account” in the upper-left corner of the screen to access your account settings.
- Select “Family Group”.
- Select “Add a member”.
- This option only appears for the family group’s admin. If this option isn’t appearing, review the other members in the family group to verify the admin. The admin will need to either add the new member or transfer the admin rights to you before you can continue.
How old is the person you're adding?
How old is the admin for the family group?
- Nintendo Accounts for children aged 15 and under can only be added by an admin aged 18+. You will need to transfer the admin rights to a family group member aged 18+.
- Once the rights have been transferred, the new admin can follow these steps to add a Nintendo Account for a child.
- Click “Create a child account”.
- Enter the following information into the fields:
- Nickname - 10 characters or less
- Child account Sign-In ID - This is the username the child will use to sign in with.
- Child account password - Passwords must be at least 8 characters long and include a combination of characters from 2 of the following categories: letters, numbers, and punctuation.
- Date of birth
- Gender (Optional)
- Check the box to agree to the terms and conditions, then click “Submit”.
- Select “OK” to create the account.
- Provide the Sign-In ID and password to your child so that they can use the account.
- The child’s Nintendo Account will now appear in the “Family Group” area of your account settings, and you can adjust various settings (password, Parental Controls, etc.) from there.
Do they already have a Nintendo Account?
- Select “Invite to family group”.
- Enter the email address that is registered to the Nintendo Account that you want to add, then click “Submit”.
- A verification email will be sent to the email address that you entered.
- The owner of the other Nintendo Account will need to do the following to agree:
- Open the email and click the verification link.
- Sign in to their Nintendo Account.
- Click “Join family group” to move the Nintendo Account into the admin’s family group.
- Once the Nintendo Account owner has agreed, their account will appear in your “Family Group” section and can be set as a parent/guardian or supervised account if desired.
- The parent/guardian can also that have been added in this way.
- If the person you want to add does not yet have a Nintendo Account, they will need to first visit http://accounts.nintendo.com to create one.
- Once they have created a Nintendo Account, follow these steps to add them to your family group.