Downloadable Software Purchases on Nintendo Switch
Once you have created a Nintendo Account, you can use your Nintendo Account to purchase downloadable software for Nintendo Switch from Nintendo eShop. Downloadable software that you purchase is tied to your Nintendo Account and can be played on the primary console for your Nintendo Account and, under certain conditions, other Nintendo Switch consoles that are also linked to your Nintendo Account.
- You can purchase downloadable software on Nintendo eShop from any Nintendo Switch console associated with your Nintendo Account.
- The first Nintendo Switch console you use to connect to Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch will automatically become the primary console for your Nintendo Account.
- A Nintendo Account can have one primary console, and while using the primary console, any user account on the console can play the downloadable software you've purchased.
- You can use your Nintendo Account to play your downloadable software on Nintendo Switch consoles that aren't the primary console for your Nintendo Account, but those consoles must be connected to the internet and other users on the consoles will not be able to play that software.
- If you have an active Nintendo Switch Online membership, save data (for supported digital AND physical games) can be shared between consoles using the Save Data Cloud service.
- Click here for more information on the differences between using a primary and non-primary console.
How It Works:
Purchasing and playing downloadable software:
- Link a Nintendo Account to your Nintendo Switch console.
- Access Nintendo eShop on the Nintendo Switch console and select your Nintendo Account.
- If your Nintendo Account does not already have a primary console, the console used at this time will automatically be registered as the primary console.
- Purchase software and/or add funds in Nintendo eShop. These will be tied to your Nintendo Account.
- Download and start playing the software you have purchased.
- If not using the primary console, you must be connected to the internet prior to starting downloadable software.