Controller Pairing FAQ
How do you pair a controller to the Nintendo Switch console?
How many different controllers can be connected to the Nintendo Switch console?
Up to eight wireless controllers can be connected to the console. However, the maximum number of controllers that can be connected will vary depending on the type of controllers and features that are used. For example:
- The right and left Joy-Con each connect as individual controllers to the console, so if you connect both of them wirelessly then it counts as 2 controllers.
Example: Four people can play, each person using one left Joy-Con and one right Joy-Con controller.
- Even if the Joy-Con controllers are attached to the Joy-Con grip, it counts as 2 controllers that are connected.
Example: Four people can play, each using the Joy-Con controllers attached to the Joy-Con grip.
- When the Joy-Con controllers are attached to the console, they do not count against the number of controllers that can be connected.
- The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller is always counted as 1 controller.
Example: Eight people can play, each using a Pro Controller.
On top of the limit of connected controllers by type, the number of connected controllers is also determined by the features being used on the controllers, and whether local communication is being used.
How is the connection status indicated by the player LEDs on the controller?
|Player LED Status||Connection Status|
|LEDs are unlit||The console and the controller are not connected |
The connection between the console and the controller was cut
|LEDs flash repeatedly in sequence||The console and the controller are connecting|
|One or more LEDs have a solid light||The controller is connected to the console|
|LEDs are flashing||The controller has very little battery charge left|
How is the order of the controllers indicated by the player LEDs?
|Controller Number||Player LEDs|
How do you disconnect/reconnect a wireless controller from the console?
- A wireless controller can be temporarily disconnected from the Nintendo Switch console by holding down the SYNC Button on that controller for at least one second.
- To reconnect, press any button on the wireless controller.
How do you delete the pairing information on a Nintendo Switch console for all wireless controllers?
This can be done from “System Settings” > “Controllers and Sensors” > “Disconnect Controllers”.
Do the Joy-Con controllers need to be held vertically or horizontally?
When using the Joy-Con as wireless controllers, the holding position will depend on the single or multiplayer options for the software being used. To change the Joy-Con holding position, click here.