Control Sticks Not Responding when Joy-Con Controllers Are Attached
The information in this article can help you when the control sticks on the Joy-Con controllers do not respond or respond incorrectly while the controllers are attached to the Nintendo Switch console.
- If the control sticks are sticky or stuck down, see our information on Joy-Con Control Sticks Are Stuck or Difficult to Move
- Prior to troubleshooting a controller, we strongly recommend that you verify that the button mapping settings have not been changed.
- You can tell that a controller's button mapping has been changed because throughout different menus, a spanner icon will be displayed beside the controller in-use at the bottom-left corner of the touch screen.
- If you can't remember the button mapping settings for your controller, you can set the console to sleep mode. Upon waking it, you’ll have the option to reset the button mapping.
- The Joy-Con cannot be attached to a Nintendo Switch Lite system, but they can be used wirelessly.
What to Do:
- With the Joy-Con controllers attached to the console, verify that they register correctly as attached within the HOME Menu Controllers screen.
- If the Joy-Con controllers are not registering correctly on the console, please read Joy-Con Not Recognised or Not Registering While Attached to the Console.
- Ensure your console has the latest system version.
- Ensure the Joy-Con controllers have the latest controller firmware installed.
- Remove any skins or covers from the problematic Joy-Con controller or controllers, if any, and calibrate the control sticks.
- If the issue is occurring with a specific game or application, try the following:
- Check for any available software updates for that game.
- Check the electronic manual for that game. Some game, such as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, support in-game tilt controls. If these are activated, it may seem as if the control sticks are not responding correctly. If this is the case, the in-game tilt controls may need to be deactivated.
Situation Not Resolved:
- If the control sticks cannot be calibrated, the non-working Joy-Con controller or controllers will need to be repaired. Do not send in the console.
- If the controller registers correctly as being attached to the console but the control stick is not responding correctly, the non-working Joy-Con controller or controllers will need to be repaired. Do not send in the console.
Please click here to begin the repair process.